Supreme Court’s Verdict on Aadhaar Card – Latest News Regarding All Announcements made by SC on Aadhaar card
The recent judgements made by Supreme court on Aadhaar Card are interesting. On One side the government runs campaigns for aadhaar card enrollment while on the other side Supreme Court says something else. This whole scenario has raised questions on the Efforts of making aadhaar card the only unique identity in the country. Campaigns have been running for so many years to make sure each and every citizen(from children to old people) get aadhaar card. Were all those efforts have gone in vein?
This article is focused on all recent updates regarding the judgement made by supreme court about Aadhaar card.
What Did Supreme Court Say During Aadhaar Card Verdict
Dated – 26 September 2016
Legal confusion over aadhaar card continues. It is not totally made clear that if aadhaar card is mandatory or not. Here is what you should know –
- Supreme court already mentioned that aadhaar card cannot be made compulsary
- But there is another point, In march 2016, Aadhaar Act has been passed. So the government has legal backing in form of this act
Dated – 23 September 2016
Supreme Court Reminded the government that aadhaar card cannot be mandatory. SC ordered the government to remove the condition that says that aadhaar card is mandatory for the students seeking scholarships under various schemes.
Dated – 11 August 2015
- “It is not mandatory for the Citizens to have aadhaar card” – Suprised? Me too, but that’s true. Central Government has been ordered to make sure that this decision is spread publicly.
- “Aadhaar Card will be optional in case of availing various welfare schemes” – Earlier it was compulsory to provide aadhaar card or aadhaar number while applying for welfare schemes. I remember writing a special article explaining the importance of providing aadhaar card details for Jan Suraksha Schemes. So now, it is not mandatory and the concerned authorities must make sure that all instances of welfare schemes where aadhaar is mentioned as mandatory should be removed
- “Aadhaar Card is Mandatory for availing Subsidies” like – LPG Subsidy, Kerosene Subsidy or other subsidies under PDS(Public Distribution System)
- “Ensure the Privacy Aadhaar Card Holders” – Authorities have been asked to make sure that no detail of any of the aadhaar card holder should be shared. However, there is one exception, “Aadhaar card holder details can be used during Criminal Investigations”
- “Halt Campaign of Seeding Aadhaar Card and Voter ID till Further Notice” – Election commission earlier launched a special project for Linking Aadhaar Card and Voter ID to remove multiple entries in the electoral rolls. As per the SC’s notice, this campaign has to be suspended till further notice.
Is the Judgement of Supreme Court on Aadhaar Card is Fair Enough?
Well, According to me, Yes or No?
Why this Decision is Fair?
This is my personal thought that some things were made extremely complex as the aadhaar card was made mandatory. One had to first get the aadhaar card in order to get the work done. So this compulsion is removed for now(for govt. services except subsidies under PDS).
Why it is not?
This decision ultimately indicates the failure of the authorities to implement the process as expected. The concept of aadhaar card itself was great and could have been implemented like social security number in other countries.
So, What is the Future of Aadhaar Card ?
It seems like a temporary ban and will give some time to the authorities to Re-think. I guess aadhaar card has to be that “one unique identity” that it was supposed to be. Future of aadhaar card will be great will all the issues will be addressed and solved.
Share your Views
It would be great to know your views regarding the Supreme Court’s Statement on aadhaar card. Leave comment in the section below.